Thursday, 20 October 2011

Chocolate & Hazelnut Meringue Cake


I baked this lovely chocolate cake before going to Wales. 
I was so excited about the trip so I didn't get to share this on my blog.
Sometimes when you see a recipe you know you have to make it.
This was one of those, but I totally forgot I have saved this recipe so I would bake it next time.
The problem with my ever growing library, I just have too many recipes on my baking list & I can only make one at a time.


I saw the recipe from a good looking chinese website.
I then found out the recipe is originated from Martha Stewart.
I guess everyone knows who she is:)
I've purchased an iPad app 'Martha Stewart Makes Cookies' when it's on offer, it is gorgeous!
Though I haven't tried any of the recipe, it's fun browsing the pages & seeing the videos.

Back to the cake, the cake is flourless, rich & smooth.
I baked the meringue a bit longer as I wanted a crispy topping to add contrast with the soft & smooth chocolate cake.
It tasted divine & I was happy to have tried it out :)

Recipe (6 square):
adapted from Martha Stewart
Chocolate cake
65 g unsalted butter
75 g sugar
3 eggs (L), separated
170 g dark chocolate (72%)
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee
1 1/2 rum
1/8 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 170C & line a 6" square loose base pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whip the butter & sugar until pale & fluffy (approx. 3-4 min).
Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add the melted chocolate, coffee, rum & salt, fold until combined.
In another large bowl, whip up egg whites, fold 1/3 into the chocolate batter.
Fold in the remaining eggs whites & pour into the prepared pan & bake for 20 min.

Meringue topping
60 g dark chocolate (72%), chopped
60 g hazelnut, toasted & skinned & roughly chopped
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 egg whites (L)
60 g sugar

While baking the cake, make the meringue.
Combine the chopped chocolate, hezelnut & cornstarch.
In a large bowl, whip the egg whites with sugar until stiff (approx. 7-8 min).
Fold in the hazelnut mixture.

Assembling
Remove the cake from oven & let it stand for 10 min.
Spread the meringue mixture on top of the cake & careful not to deflate the meringue.
Return to the oven & bake until the meringue is lightly browned & crispy (25-30 min).
Remove from the oven, let stand for 10 min before demoulding.
Cooling on a wire rack for 30 min.
Dust with cocoa powder, slice & serve!

7 comments:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy it.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful looking cake!!
    I absolutely love it, and I wish I could have a slice right now :)
    I have no doubt it's delicious too

    ReplyDelete


  3. Feel free to surf to my blog post ... tantric massage
    My webpage :: sensual massage London

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yоu aсtuallу makе іt sеem
    so еasy with уour рresentation but I find
    this mattеr to be actuаllу ѕomething that I think I would neveг unԁeгѕtanԁ.
    It ѕeems tοο complіcated and very broaԁ
    fοг me. Ι am loоκing forwarԁ for
    уour next pοst, ӏ will tгy to get the hang οf іt!


    Feel free to surf to my blog :: http://www.belbazaar.nl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Еvегything is very open ωіth a
    reallу clear clarification of the іssueѕ.

    It waѕ dеfinitely informative.

    Υour website is extremely helpful. Thanks foг sharing!


    My blog: kraamcadeau Met Naam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quality content is the crucial to attract the users to
    pay a quick visit the web site, that's what this site is providing.

    My blog post: http://gc7xreview.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails