Wednesday 30 November 2011

Earl Grey Chocolate Mousse Cake


Last week, I made a chocolate mousse cake for my birthday.
I always wanted to make an earl grey chocolate mousse cake & finally got around to make it for my special day.
I wasn't happy with the decoration overall, I wanted a dome shape & the chocolate ganache wasn't smooth.
I wasn't going to post this but it did taste really nice & rich so I decided to post it anyway.
I might try to make this again sometimes & I believe decoration will become better with practice.


I tend to design the cake before getting to make it e.g. the look & the flavours.
It's not always turn out like the drawings but I find it inspiring :)
I draw more often now as I have an iPad which is great for drawing but I rarely show my works here.


Jenny also made me an apple & red wine mousse cake which was pretty & delicious.


Recipe (6" dome):
Vanilla Crème Brûlée (5" round)
100 g whipping cream
18 g milk
1/4 vanilla pod, split & seeded
26 g sugar
1 egg yolk (L)
3 g sheet gelatine

Soak sheet gelatine in cold water & squeeze out excess water.
In a large bowl, mix egg yolk & sugar until smooth.
In a saucepan, bring whipping cream, milk & vanilla pod to boil, pour the vanilla cream to egg mixture & whisk while pouring.
Return to heating & bring to 82C.
Turn off heating, add bloomed gelatine & mix until smooth.
Pour into a 5" round container & refrigerate to set.
Chocolate Cake Base (5" round)
2 large eggs
50 g sugar
33 g all purpose flour
10 g cocoa powder
20 g unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 180C, line a 6" square loose base pan with parchment paper & grease the side.
In a large bowl, whip the eggs & sugar until pale & fluffy (approx. 3-4 min).
Mix & sieve all flours 3 times, add to the batter & fold until smooth.
Gently fold in melted butter.
Pour into the prepared pan & bake for 15-20 min or until a skewer comes out clean.
Remove from oven & cool on a wired rack.

Earl Grey Syrup
2 teabags earl grey tea
40 ml boiling water
10 g sugar
1 tsp Grand Marnier

Mix all ingredients & let it stand for 10 min.
Remove teabags & leave to cool.

Earl Grey Chocolate Mousse
5 teabags earl grey tea
105 g milk
240 g dark chocolate 72%, melted
300 g whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar

In a saucepan, bring milk to boil, infuse teabags & leave to cool before removing teabags.
Whisk up the whipping cream.
Fold in melted chocolate & earl grey milk.

Chocolate Ganache
30 g whipping cream
45 g sugar
30 g water
16 g cocoa powder, sifted
2.5 g sheet gelatine, bloomed with cold water

In a saucepan, mix & warm all ingredients except gelatine, stir until smooth.
Go through a sift to remove any lump.
Add bloomed gelatine & stir to dissolve.

Assembling
Cut the chocolate cake into 2 pieces. 
Pour 1/3 chocolate mousse into the mould, refrigerate to set.
Put in a piece of chocolate cake, brush generously to soak with the syrup.
Put crème brûlée on top & then chocolate cake, brush with the syrup.
Pour in the remaining mousse, refrigerate to set.
Remove from the mould, cover with chocolate ganache, refrigerate to set.
Decorate as you like & enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. wow your cakes are amazing! (: do you go for cooking classes?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails