Saturday, 17 July 2010

Apple Chocolate Crumble Tarts

This week, I was craving for apple desserts, especially tarts.
I have some low-fat sweet short pastry left in my fridge, so I was looking for a simple recipe to fulfil my urge for apple tarts then I came across this blog post (Chinese).
The apple chocolate crumble tart is a perfect combination to me as I'm a chocoholic & I love apples.
There is no need to make custard filling, just chopping apples & chocolate.
I adapted the recipe slightly mainly because I didn't have some ingredients & I didn't want to go shopping for them.
The tarts are great, I ate two soon after it's out of the oven.
I think it's best served when it is hot, a crispy tart base coupled with a melting centre, yummy!

Recipe (6 x 10 cm tarts)
Low-fat sweet short pastry:
adapted from '吃不胖甜点 Low-fat Desserts' (Chinese)

40g unsalted butter
35g caster sugar
1 egg white
50g ground almond
110g plain flour
10g milk
1/4 lemon peel

In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy.
Add egg white & beat to mix.
Sift in the ground almond & plain flour, mix to combine.
Add milk & lemon peel, mix to combine.
Wrap the dough in plastic film & refrigerate for several hours (2-4 hours).
Roll the dough into 2mm thick & fill the moulds, make holes with a fork & bake in a preheated oven at 150'C for 10 min.
Let the tart shells cool completely on a wire rack.

50g unsalted butter (soften)
50g sugar
50g chopped almond
80g plain flour

Mix all ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs & refrigerate before use.

Apple & chocolate filling:
2 apples
50g dark chocolate

Peel, core & chop the apples.
Chop chocolate into pieces.

Fill the apple dices on the tart shells, spread chocolate over it,
Spread the crumble mixture to cover the top, bake in preheated oven at 180'C for 30-40 min (until golden colour).


  1. What a coincidence. I made an apple dessert too!! Yours looks and sounds delicious!!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D

  2. This looks great. It's a very unexpected combination to me, chocolate and apples but it sounds so yummy at 12:15 am. Haha! Nice stuff. :)



Related Posts with Thumbnails