Thursday 15 September 2011

Lychee & White Wine Mousse Cake


Mid-Autumn Festival fell on 12th Sept this year, sadly it's Monday.
So we had a pre-celebration on the day before.
I attempted to make mooncakes last year but it wasn't very successful, so I didn't think of taking that challenge.
Instead I decided to make a mousse cake with lychee & white wine.

I love lychee so when I came across the idea of using lychee & white wine, I was thrilled not the try it.
Even though I like to use wines & spirits in baking, I don't like the bitterness of alcohols.
So I decided to create my own recipe.


I would say lychee & white wine are a perfect couple after I tried mixing white wine & lychee syrup.
With osmanthus, they are a striking trio.
Recipe (6" square):
Cake base
1 egg, separated
18 g sugar
20 g plain flour
7 g vegetable oil
9 g milk

Line a 8" square baking pan with a parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolk with 5 g of sugar until thick & pale, then fold in the oil.
Sieve in the flour & mix until smooth.
In another mixing bowl, whisk up the egg white & fold gently with the batter until smooth.
Pour into the prepared pan & bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 10-15 min.
Remove from the oven & cool on rack.

Osmanthus, Lychee & White Wine Jelly
90 g white wine
30 g boiling water
6 g sheet gelatine
1 tbsp dried sweet osmanthus
80 g canned lychees, drained & chopped
30 g sugar

Soak sheet gelatine in cold water.
In a small glass, combine dried osmanthus, sugar & boiling water, leave it brewing for 5 min.
Squeeze out excess water of bloomed gelatine & add to the tea, stir to dissolve.
Add chopped lychees & white wine into the tea.
Pour into a 5" square mould & refrigerate to set.

Lychee Mousse
150 g canned lychee, drained & blended into puree
180 g whipping cream
6 g sheet gelatine

Bloom sheet gelatine in cold water, squeeze excess water & add to lychee puree.
Heat the lychee puree & stir to dissolve the gelatine.
Whisk the whipping cream to soft peaks.
Blend in the lychee puree.

Yogurt Mousse
120 g plain natural yogurt
190 g whipping cream
35 g sugar
6 g gelatine leaves

Soften the gelatine in cold water for a few minutes, then squeeze out the excess water.
Whisk the whipping cream with sugar to soft peaks, fold in the yogurt.
Mix 2 tbsp of whipped cream with the soften gelatine & melt it using the microwave (2030 sec).
Combine with remaining mousse & fold until smooth.

Topping Jelly
50 g white wine
100 g lychee syrup
4 g sheet gelatine
1 tsp dried sweet osmanthus

Soak sheet gelatine in cold water, squeeze out excess water.
Combine all ingredients & heat to dissolve the gelatine.

Assembling
Cut the cake into 6" square then put it into a 6" square loose base cake pan.
Spread the lychee mousse on top, refrigerate to set.
Top with the osmanthus, lychee & white wine jelly.
Spread the yogurt mousse & refrigerate to set.
Pour in the topping jelly & refrigerate to set.

16 comments:

  1. This recipe is such an appropriate way to celebrate autumn. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Plus I've been in need of a good excuse to use Osmanthus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    There are more recipes using osmanthus on my blog. Hope you enjoy browsing through :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe sounds intriguing but the looks of it is so convincing. I will have to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake looks absolutely fantastic! I need to go find some lychee nuts now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your
    post seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
    I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I'd post
    to let you know. The design look great though! Hope you get
    the problem fixed soon. Thanks

    my web site automatske

    ReplyDelete
  7. Undeniablу beliеve that whiсh you stated.
    Yоur favoritе justіfication seemeԁ tο be on the іnternet the easiest thing to be
    aware of. I say to уou, I definitely get іrked while peoplе сonsіԁeг worгіes that thеy plainly ԁо not
    know about. You managed to hit the nail uρon
    thе toρ аnd also defіned out the ωhole thing withοut having side-effеcts , peoplе
    could take a signal. Will pгobably be back to get more.

    Thanks

    My blog: premature ejaculation pills

    ReplyDelete
  8. what did you do with the lychee juice in the can? seem such a pity to not use (or use the flavour to overpowering?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe is really very interesting with lots of healthy lichi present in it. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. hi there, it's dried flowers, i think it's called sweet osmanthus.

      Delete
  11. Hi, I love it, but I would like to know if it could be replaced sweet osmanthus? And for what ingredient would be, or to put in the recipe... Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How long does it normally take to set?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it,
    jutti flats

    ReplyDelete
  14. For the cake base, when and where do I add the balance of the 13g sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, when do I add the 9g milk?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails