Saturday 3 September 2011

Crème Caramel au Calvados

On a Saturday, I was craving for custard puddings, so I made some simple yet yummy crème caramel.
The first batch I made was with rose syrup, so I didn't use vanilla to avoid it overtaking the rose fragrance, instead I'd used Calvados which is an apple brandy.
The tang of Calvados added a wonderful taste with rose syrup & then I decided to make the second batch with Calvados caramel.
I'm deeply fond of caramel & I always like to add some extra ingredients to make it more interesting.
Of course, the Calvados can be replaced by other wines/spirits e.g. Cognac, Grand Marnier, Whisky.
Be creative & enjoy baking!
Recipe:
Calvados Caramel Sauce
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp Calvados (apple brandy)
1 tbsp water

In a saucepan, caramelise the sugar.
Carefully add in water & Calvados, stir to dissolve.
Divide into the ramekins/cups & set aside for use.

Custard
2 eggs, beaten
250 g milk
50 g whipping cream
30 g granulated sugar
2 tsp Calvados

Preheat oven to 160C & bring a kettle of water to boil.
In a large bowl, combine eggs & Calvados, lightly whisk to mix.
In a saucepan, heat sugar & milk to 38C, pour into the egg mixture & whisk gently to mix.
Sieve through & pour into the prepared ramekins/cups.
Fill a baking pan with boiling water to 2/3 height of the ramekins/cups.
Bake for 15 min then turn off the oven & leave for 10 min (bake until the centres jiggle like jelly)
After cooling, refrigerate for at least 2 h before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my...that looks so delicately prepared. I can't wait to get my hand of that and have a taste of elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! These look gorgeous and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails