Wednesday, 22 February 2012

One Apple, Two Blueberry Cheesecakes & Three A Trip to Lewes



It’s my friend’s birthday and she had special request for a baked cheesecake.
So, the night before I met her, I baked, not one but two small cheesecakes.


The recipe was actually for a 8” cake but we’re going to a historical & lovely town called Lewes.
It’s not a good idea to bring a giant 8” cake around.
The little cheesecake turned out great with simple arrangement of poached apples & my friend loved it :)
I cooked some blueberry jam & simply spread over the other cheesecake which I brought to my mum the next day when we had lunch together.



Lewes was an adorable town, full of antique shops, cozy cafe & cute crafts stores.
There is also a big flea market & it's like treasure hunting :)



Floral tea cups & saucers bought from Lewes.
Recipe (make two 6'' round):
Crust
140 g digestive biscuit crumbs
50 g unsalted butter, melted

Mix the ingredients & bake in an oven at 150C for 15 min.
After cooling, press into 6" springform pans.
Cheesecake Filling
200 g cream cheese
180 g sour cream
70 g sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 lemon, zest only & finely ground

Preheat oven to 170C & butter the pan.
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with sugar until smooth.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Blend in sour cream, stir until smooth.
Sieve in cornstarch & mix well.
Sieve through the batter.
Add in the lemon zest, mix well.
Divide into the prepared pans & bake for 20 min, then leave to cool in the oven.
Earl Grey Tea Poached Apples
2 apples, peeled, cored & sliced
100 g sugar
200 ml water
1 teabag of earl grey tea

Combine water, sugar & tea bag in a pot, bring it to boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer, add in the apple slices & cook for 5 min or until apples become soft.
Remove apples from the syrup & set aside for cooling.
Add 1/2 tbsp of corn flour to the syrup & cook until it thickens.
Remove from heating & set aside for cooling.
Blueberry Jam
150 g fresh blueberries
35 g granulated sugar
1/4 lemon, juice only

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan & cook until it thickens.
Assembling
Remove cheesecakes from the pans.
Working from outwards, arrange poached apple slices in a rose shape & brush some syrup over the apple slices.
Spread the blueberry jam on top of another cheesecake.
Cool for 2 hours before serving

6 comments:

  1. You know, I have never baked anything for someone's birthday.... I find it too stressful and I worry about them not liking it...:) But I bet your friend was over joyed at this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if friends like cheesecakes, can't go wrong with cheesecakes. give it a try when your friend's birthday is due, i'm sure they'll love it :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I love BOTH cheesecakes! I can't pick which one is my favorite because they are absolutely gorgeous. I want to go to this kind of flea market to look for food props. I had never had a chance to look around to find something cheap but useful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nami, both are my favourite fruits. I really like the flea market & it's fun wondering around to dig out something cheap :)

      Delete
  3. Wow - those cheesecakes look amazing, especially the blueberry one...totally craving cheesecake now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. both are great, these cheesecakes are very easy to make :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails