Thursday 9 February 2012

Red Velvet Cake on a Snowy Day

Valentine's day is coming so I thought it's a great time to bake this lovely red velvet cake.
I've bookmarked this recipe (for who knows how long...) when I'd first seen it from Dear Pig's blog (chinese).
She baked the cake & simply garnished it with red rose petals.
It looks so perfect & I couldn't think a better way to decorate the cake.
To be honest, decorate a cake with frosting is what I'll always avoid if I can.
That was one of the reason why I hadn't made this when I saw it the first time.
Last week, I finally made it & tried my best with the frosting, it wasn't too bad after all :)
Indoor shoots on red background.
Soon after I made this cake, snow had finally arrived in England.
I had been waiting the snow as I feel the winter without snow is not like winter.
It snowed all night & there're inches of snow when I waked up the next morning.
Put on some warm clothes, took my camera & I walked out the door & stunned by the beautiful scenes.
When I got back home, I thought it'd be a great idea to take the cake out & took some photos.
It did look amazing in the snow!

Recipe (6" round):
recipe adapted from here
Red Velvet Cake
120 g plain flour
40 g corn flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
100 g sugar
160 g vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 tbsp vanilla essence
120 ml buttermilk
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp red colouring

Line a parchment paper & butter the side of a 6" pan.
Combine & sift plain flour, corn flour, salt & cocoa powder.
In a large bowl, whisk sugar & oil together using an electric beater.
Add egg & beat until smooth.
Add in colouring & vanilla.
Add flours & buttermilk gradually, whisk until smooth.
In a small bowl, combine soda & vinegar then add to the batter, whisk until combined.
Pour into the prepared pan & bake in a preheated oven at 175C for 35-40 min, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Cool in the pan on a wired rack.

Cream Cheese Frosting
250 g cream cheese
125 g unsalted butter, soften
75 g sugar

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients & beat until well combined.

Assembling
Carefully remove the cake from the pan, cut off the top & slice into 2 pieces of same height.
Spread a layer of cream cheese frosting & smooth with a palette knife.
Top with another piece of cake, cover the cake with enough frosting.
Pipe the rest of frosting around the edge & garnish with rose petals.
Refrigerate for at least 2 h before serving. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Yue,

    Oh my goodness, your red velvet cake looks gorgeous! I haven't seen that much snow in real life for a long time (I visited Hokkaido, northern island of Japan). Thank you for sharing beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nami, thanks for your comment. It snowed heavily for one night, but it'd soon gone due to the rain. very typical British weather. I really like to visit Japan sometimes :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails